TR6 Clutches and LuK product

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Clutches and LuK product
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:02:10 -0400
I won't be chaning out my clutch til the driving season is over but was
planning on trying the TRF Magic Clutch or BPNW Sachs set.  I saw the LuK
Clutch RepSet product on EBay and out of curiosity sent an email asking
for feedback on the product.  My question and his response is included
below.

Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of this product that you would
like to share? The "Buy it Now" price was $145 for cover, disk, bushing
and alignment tool.

Thanks,
Jay Welch, Abington MA
1971 TR6 project, 1973 TR6 driver
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club" @
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/

*************************
MY QUESTION:

I have two TR6s.  What can you tell me about the LUK clutch setup for the
TR6?  I have heard much of the horror stories with the Borg and Beck
setup and the high failure rates of the release bearing that are being
supplied by the major parts houses.  I have the Toyota LandCruiser
release bearing in my 73 right now with a Borg and Beck cover and disk.
I'm not very happy with it and was planning to experiment with the Saab
(Sachs) setup this winter.  I have heard that the Sachs cover and disk
and Toyota bearing is what is used in the Magic clutch that TRF sells.
It appears that people might be starting to have problems with the Magic
clutch as well. Apparently the bearing is wearing a deep groove into the
cover fingers.

Any feedback you can supply will be much appreciated and forwarded to the
email list members and club members.

HIS RESPONSE: