RE: 250 O/D

To: "Thomas Beaver" <beaver@spillmanco.com>, triumphlist <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 250 O/D
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:42:24 -0400
Tom,

I suspect it is something that is not letting the pressure flow to the pistons
or the pressure is not there when cold to begin with.

The next step is to make sure that the operating valve is getting pushed far
enough to fully open the valve.  You may have to add some more "throw" into
solenoid adjustment.  35 years of wear and tear can add enough slop to the
linkage to make the traditional method obsolete. Mine was very slow to engage
until I adjusted this.  But the cold vs. hot behavior doesn't seem to fit
this.

The next thing is to check the pressure itself.  This requires access to the
top of the unit and a gauge.  You can make the gauge from common "snowplow
hydraulics store" parts for less than $30.  You should have 450 lbs. of
pressure on a TR250 era "small piston" A-Type.  Let me know if you need more
info on the gauge.  BTW, you can make an access hole in your gearbox cover for
this type of work using a sheetmetal cover, weatherstripping, those clip on
nuts and screws.  This works for original fiber board, fiberglass or plastic
versions.

I made a solenoid and operating valve access hole on my fiberglass cover last
time around.  But the damn OD has to come out again to find the big leak I
have.

Those are my best guesses

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4  CT16260L(O) - Groton, MA