Re: Carb /Emission Control System

Subject: Re: Carb /Emission Control System
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 08:13:35 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Harry :

The ARS should _not_ be activated when the engine is running normally,
power is applied to it only when there is oil pressure but the ignition
key is off.  With it not activated, the bottom of the cannister is open
to the atmosphere.  The center connection on top of the cannister is
connected to a vacuum source, but there are restrictors, and the
crankcase vent from the engine, such that there is only a gentle flow of
air through the cannister, no vacuum is drawn on it as long as the fresh
air vent is open.

When the ARS activates, it blocks the fresh air vent, and connects
manifold vacuum directly to the cannister, which applies it to the bowl
vents and kills the engine.

It's certainly possible that your fuel level is too high, causing liquid
fuel to be forced into the cannister, but that wouldn't make the engine
die when you connected the vent line, and you would see the fuel running
out with it disconnected.

Of course, I don't own a TR6, so I'm working from memory and a plumbing
diagram in my Haynes.  Any of you TR6 owners out there (Dave ?) feel
free to jump in and correct me ...

Randall
59 TR3A - don't need no steenkin cannister <g>