RE: vacuum retard on turbocharged engines

To: "Triumphs-Digest" <triumphs-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: vacuum retard on turbocharged engines
From: "Walt Philipson" <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:11:16 -0400
Doug

A Corvair Spider was it? Too bad Ralph killed it. It seems that, similar to
modern SUV's with certain "unnamed" tires installed, they would flip on
there backs unexpectedly. "I was just driving along when..."

Since all of the cars built today use electronic engine controls, there is
no mechanical control of timing (either vacuum or mechanical). Some like my
wife's late Maxima, may she rest in peace (the Maxima, not my wife) do away
with distributors all together and use sensors on the flywheel or harmonic
balancer to trigger the spark. The spark timing is controlled by the
computer after taking into account a number of engine parameters including
temperature, pressures, intake air flow rate, and rpm  among other things.
Some also use knock sensors to detect early detonation (pinging) to reduce
timing and/or boost.

Walt
74' TR6