Re: Go Navy] no LBC

To: <Dwbradbury@ra.rockwell.com>, "Jag List" <xj@jag-lovers.org>, "mgs List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Go Navy] no LBC
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:25:00 -0400
> This is an e-mail from an Ensign stationed aboard the USS Winston
> Churchill...

Friends-
Being used to the internet, and all the wondrous opportunities for those of
a mind to create interesting yet false messages, which get passed from
person to person, i.e. cyber legends, I received this one with a little
skepticism.  I was very happy to find out it is indeed 100% accurate! I was
unsure of an American ship named the "Winston S. Chruchill", as he was a
foreign statesman, albeit a true ally, and had my doubts about the Lutjens
as well, as I wasn't really sure Germany actually still had a navy.

Long story short, I researched it, and found the website for the USS Winston
S. Churchill (DDG-81) an Arleigh Burke class Guided Missile Destroyer, (the
same as "USS The Sullivans"DDG-68) http://www.spear.navy.mil/ships/ddg81/ If
you go through the site, you will find a copy of the same letter, (to her
father). They have recently updated the site, and included it, as well as a
few photos of the Lutjens and crew as mentioned- in blues, with their signs.

Now for the "Dear Abby" recommendation- On the Yahoo site I used to find the
ship,
http://dir.yahoo.com/Government/U_S__Government/Military/Navy/Fleets_and_Shi
ps/  there are listings for many of our ships now in commission, and
possibly at sea. Since e-mail is possible, why not e-mail a couple ships,
just to say "Hi" and let them know we appreciate their being there? I'm sure
a few open letters to the crews might be appreciated- Who knows- might find
a Triumph enthusiast or two aboard!

Scott