TR4 dwell setting and timing question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 dwell setting and timing question
From: "Dylan Pedersen" <pdylan@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 22:22:53 -0600
Hi all -
I'm attempting to make my recently acquired 1963 TR 4 with ZS CD175 Carbs
pass a emissions test in the State of Idaho.  (The car is titled as a '65,
thus forcing me to go through the process, '65 is the cut off year).

To do so I'm going to through a tune up of the engine, i.e. ignition timing
and carb adjustment

I want to confirm my points setting with a dwell reading & the timing with a
timing light (engine has 82,000 miles and I can't imagine static timing will
hit the mark).

Does anyone know the Dwell reading I should be looking for to confirm the
points are set appropriately?  Everything on the engine is stock.

Also, when checking / setting the timing with the timing gun, I was planning
on disconnecting the vacuum advance and shoot for TDC at Idle.  Is this
correct, or is there a better way to set it up?

Thanks much for the help!

Kind Regards,
Dylan
1963 Triumph