Re: [TR250] Roller Rockers

To: David <dmb993@earthlink.net>, TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR250] Roller Rockers
From: Erik Quackenbush <erik@midwestfilter.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:37:51 -0600
At 02:12 PM 11/7/2001 -0800, David wrote:
>I know that the prevailing wisdom is that these aren't worth
>the price, nonetheless, I gotta have a set cause I think they're
>cool. Of the suppliers available, Good parts etc, does anyone
>have an opinion as to which ones are the best?

The two sources ultimate sources for these are TS Imported Automotive and
Good Parts. The roller rockers from TSI have roller tips but use (bronze?)
bushings on the rocker shaft. The roller rockers from Good Parts use roller
tips and have needle bearings on the rocker shaft but they cost a LOT more.
I believe The Roadster Factory resells the Good Parts variety.

In his famous "Tuning the A Series Engine" book David Vizard says that
needle bearings don't hurt but they don't help enough to justify the extra
expense. He's talking about specific results in Mini/Sprite engines so
actual Triumph results may vary.

After doing all my research I decided I could replace my rocker shaft and
valve guides quite a few times before approaching the cost of roller
rockers so I stuck with standard rockers. They are any easy bolt
performance upgrade (you get extra valve lift because of the increased
ratio) that doesn't require cylinder head removal so they are attractive
from that point of view.

-Erik

--
Erik Quackenbush, V.P. Operations, Midwest Filter Corporation
1-847-680-0566 fax: 1-847-680-0832 http://www.midwestfilter.com