RE: TR6 Master Cylinder Casting

Subject: RE: TR6 Master Cylinder Casting
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:13:31 -0500
I purchased the cylinder from lucasguy on eBay. I sent a note to him about
this also. His reply is below. He seems like a pretty good guy.

Please note that he has named the notch after me!

Hugh Fader
72 TR6

> I just received a new brake master cylinder for my 72 TR6. I
> notice that on
> the face of the collar surrounding the push rod on the
> mounting flange there
> is a ~1/4" deep V-shaped groove. It looks like a defect in
> the casting. I

Dear Hugh

            Initially I was going to ask you to be kind enough to send me a
digital picture of your problem. It sounds like a purely superficial dent
that would in no way impinge on the operation of the cylinder, since the
flange you describe is a mounting flange, and would not affect the
mechanical operation of the unit whatsoever.

However, to be more sure, I went downstairs and personally examined all four
of my remaining units that were on my shelfAnd they all have  the Fader
notch in them!

Consequently I spoke to my supplier in the US who got a couple of his units
out to examine, and they too possessed the notch.

He believes it to be a deliberate design change (maybe to help bleed the
boot when attached). I tend to agree that the fact that they all have it in
them and the depression looks specifically tooled rather than a random
casting bump or trough one would infer it was done deliberately.

 These units come out of a Girling (Now TRW) manufacturing factory in
Europe. Accordingly they, I assume, have gone through all standard
inspection procedures at the factory prior to shipment.

I was a trainee with the Lucas/Girling organization back in 1964 and spent
many long hours at Girling factories being acquainted with their stringent
quality controls that they applied as a matter of policy. Girling were
always hyper-aware  of the fact that lives of families were dependent upon
their Braking systems and were accordingly extremely safety-conscientious.

            I have asked my supplier to contact the factory about this and
have them verify our conjecture. He has promised to do so, but does not
think they handle such enquiries too expeditiously! I indicated that if he
wanted to continue to sell these units to my customers such a response was
not an elective.

So that is where the matter stands.   Regards, Dave