Interpreting Compression Test

Subject: Interpreting Compression Test
From: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 17:36:58 -0500
Cc: <jmiteff@peoplepc.com>, <hfader@ford.com>
Hello,

I have just completed a compression test on my 72 TR6. The test was
performed using a screw-in compression gage, with the engine hot, and with
all plugs removed. Here is the data.

Cylinder/Dry psi/Wet psi/Plug Condition
1/100/115/brown, dry
2/100/117/brown, dry
3/105/115/brown, dry
4/105/110/oily, pitted
5/107/113/brown, dry
6/101/110/brown, some oil

The car burns oil. Smoke is blue in color. It seems to be worst at cold
start and when accelerating or shifting. I have not been able to have
someone observe engine braking yet. Starts easily and runs strong.

My diagnosis is even wear of piston rings causing blowby. This is based on
the even numbers and consistent increase in wet compression. I don't know
what to make of the pitting on cylinder 4 plug. The previous owner had
diagnosed valve guides, but I'm not sure how.

Anybody care to give a second opinion?

Thanks,
Hugh Fader
72 TR6