Re: Interpreting Compression Test

Subject: Re: Interpreting Compression Test
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 17:54:16 -0800
Hugh :

My guess would be worn intake valve guides instead, with the majority of
the oil going through #4.  The pitting would be detonation under cruise
conditions, caused by the octane-lowering effect of the oil.  The
increase in 'wet' compression is probably caused by the oil taking up
part of the combustion chamber, in effect temporarily increasing the
compression ratio.  It's unusual for rings to wear that evenly, and even
ring/cylinder wear would not explain the increased oil in #4 and #6.

In any case, it's a lot easier to change the valve guides.  You may even
be able to temporarily add valve stem seals without removing the head,
both as a band-aid and to verify the problem.  You'll need an airline
and adapter to pressurize the cylinder and hold the valve up while you
remove the spring, install the seal, and replace the spring.  I don't
know the sizes for a TR6 offhand, but I was able to buy 'teflon' type
seals over the counter at a local speed shop, given the guide od and the
stem od.  About $1/each.

Randall