Oil feed hoses on 4cyls

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil feed hoses on 4cyls
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:33:31 -0800 (PST)
Fred,

I got one of those oil feed hoses for my TR-4 a number of years back.
I put it on, looked at all the blue smoke out the exhaust and then took it off.

I don't think early 4 cyl TRs are prone to much trouble in that department.

If you have an old engine with a lot of sludge build up . .something that might
be restricting the oil passage. . .then think of the hose as a bypass.

If you have a recently rebuilt engine. . . it shouldn't need the hose.
The passages should be clean.  For that matter, if you have an engine that has
been rebuilt in the past decade or so . . then all those fancy additives they
put in oils these days should help avoid any crud clogging up the oil passages.

In short, I wouldn't put one on and early TR 4 cylinder engine.

Now TR-6 engines. . .I've seen lots of valve rocker shafts that are chewed all
to hell.  It amazed me that the engine ran.  Those might be candidates for an
oil feed hose.  But then there's the lack of valve guide seals to deal with
again.

There's my $.02

Scott Tilton
Driving a Smoking TR6 in Leesburg VA (tomorrow)
or bid at http://auctions.yahoo.com