Re: 16 year olds and Triumphs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 16 year olds and Triumphs
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tomomalley@meganet.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:04:12 -0500
On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 15:26:19 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

Snip!

>Like Click and Clack said to the woman whose kid wanted to get an MG:
>
>They berated the MG's to no end. . then advised getting one without hesitation.
>It builds character.   There's no better time to do it.

Hehe...Tom and Ray.  Gotta love 'em!

Here's one version of their position:

   Dear Tom and Ray:

 I'm getting ready to purchase my first automobile this summer, and I
have my heart set on an old  British sports car.  I'd like either an
MG or a Triumph Spitfire.  However, my parents aren't exactly thrilled
because they feel old sports cars need too many repairs and are
unsafe.  I just want to drive to and from work, but I do want to know
if cars like MGs and Spitfires are just a hassle. -- Kellie

  RAY: A car like that is not just a hassle, Kellie.  It's a complete
and utter hassle, as well as a money pit, a death trap and source of
continual and painful frustration.

 TOM: But you should definitely get one, Kellie.  They're wonderful
cars!

 RAY: In their favor, they are among the safest cars you can buy.
They're always sitting in the driveway with the hood up, and you can't
get much safer than that.  And the buses you'll be taking instead do
very well in the crash tests.

 TOM: Don't listen to him, Kellie.  He has no sense of the romantic.
He doesn't remember what it's like to cruise down the road, the roar
of the engine in your ears, the sun on your face, and the wind
tangling knots in your hair.

 RAY: Very funny.  I do remember what it's like to have hair for the
wind to tangle.  But when you painted this scene, you neglected to
mention the smell of burning oil wafting up your nostrils, and your
AAA card clutched fearfully in your sweaty palm.

 TOM: Oh, picky, picky. I've owned both of these cars, and everything
my brother says is true.  But despite that, I have nothing but
wonderful memories of them.  Go for it, Kellie.  Do it while you're
young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid
again!