Re: removing hubs on a solid axle

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: removing hubs on a solid axle
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 15:24:57 -0500
Randall Young wrote:

> Or, any British machine shop should have the tool, and be willing to pull
> your hubs (for a price).  I know Herman van den Akker has the tool
> (handhvan@msn.com, (805) 526-9526) on the west coast, Brian Schlorff
> probably does on the east coast (britcars@powerbritish.com, (610) 270-0505).
> And there are lots of others, contact your favorite one, preferably close
> by.  Those axles are heavy, and shipping them around the country gets
> expen$ive.

Yep, we've got the Churchill puller.  If you can't find one locally, I can also
suggest going to a local welding shop and asking them to cut a piece of 1/2"
plate steel which can then be bolted on to the hub by the wheelstuds.  (Note
that
for a welding shop to make this for you cheaply it will probably be flame cut
meaning the edges of the cuts will be rough/irregular - grind these down before
bolting it on so it bolts up flush & tight to the hub.)  With this in place to
reinforce the hub flange it's safe to use a jaw type puller.  However, even with
the ideal design of the churchill tool, it takes an awful lot of force to pop
the
hubs off, I'm not sure if a jaw puller would guarantee you success, but I have
heard of quite a few folks doing it this way.

Cheers!

Brian Schlorff
Power British
1242 East Ridge Pike
Plymouth Meeting, PA  19462-2754
610-270-0505
610-270-3059 fax
(new website under construction...finally!
http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars
)