Optima - and chargers...

To: lmtr4a@ctlnet.com, 105671.471@compuserve.com
Subject: Optima - and chargers...
From: Odd Hedberg <odd@triumphclub.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 21:15:34 +0100
Cc: 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Lou wrote:
> I currently own three Optima batteries. Although I have yet to have
> a need to, are you saying that I should never attempt to charge them
> with a standard wet cell charger? If not, then where could I get the
> right charger for them if needed? Strange that I have not seen this
> in the Optima owners manual or literature.
> Lou Metelko         Auburn, IN

and Dave then commented:
> I can not comment on the Optima. It may be a special design that will
> tolerate charging from standard charger. After all it is sold as a
> direct replacement for a wet cell. BTW, I too, have an Optima in my
> TR8. But I have never tried to charge it up off the car. The need has
> not come up.
> Cheers
> Dave

Lou and Dave,
there is actually an Optima charger for the Optima battery.

Optima AB:
http://www.optimabatteries.se/

Battery charger:
http://www.optimabatteries.se/files/main.cfm?section=prodinfo_categorydetail&product_main_categoryID=7

I've got one for my TR8 battery... [You guessed that already, didn't
You Dave? ;-) ] It's red and beautiful... There is a difference in
the voltage they are supposed to end the "volume" charge at. I think
it was 14.7 V [or something like it] for the Optima, and a mere 14.4 V
for an ordinary lead/acid battery with wet cell technology.
The charger was, just as the battery itself, a bit on the expensive
side...
Regards
/Odd
--
Odd Hedberg
Pomonagatan 4           International liaison secretary,