Optima - and chargers...

To: "INTERNET:odd@triumphclub.se" <odd@triumphclub.se>
Subject: Optima - and chargers...
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 18:47:55 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <lmtr4a@ctlnet.com>, "[unknown]" <105671.471@compuserve.com>, 1-Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by INTERNET:odd@triumphclub.se
>Lou wrote:
> I currently own three Optima batteries. Although I have yet to have
> a need to, are you saying that I should never attempt to charge them
> with a standard wet cell charger? If not, then where could I get the
> right charger for them if needed? Strange that I have not seen this
> in the Optima owners manual or literature.
> Lou Metelko         Auburn, IN

and Dave then commented:
> I can not comment on the Optima. It may be a special design that will
> tolerate charging from standard charger. After all it is sold as a
> direct replacement for a wet cell. BTW, I too, have an Optima in my
> TR8. But I have never tried to charge it up off the car. The need has
> not come up.
> Cheers
> Dave

Lou and Dave,
there is actually an Optima charger for the Optima battery.

Optima AB:
http://www.optimabatteries.se/

Battery charger:
http://www.optimabatteries.se/files/main.cfm?section=prodinfo_categorydetai
l&product_main_categoryID=7
<

At the risk of beating this dead horse to death, I think Randall addressed
this issue with a link to

http://www.optimabatteries.com/usingOptima/charging.asp

and it looks like the Optima is designed to perform well when connected to
a modern auto charging system and just about any automatic charger.  The
thing to watch out for is an unregulated charger without a timer.  I
suppose you could use an unregulated charger if you don't try to fully
charge it.  In other words, if the battery is run down charge it long
enough to start the car and then disconnect.  But if you want to keep the
battery charged up during prolonged storage you must use a better charger
and you can't go wrong using the charger designed by (or to the
specifications of) the battery manufacturer.

Cheers

Dave