Re: Finding number on overdrive/TR3

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Finding number on overdrive/TR3
From: "Nelson Riedel" <nriedel@nextek.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:38:42 -0500
Randall,

The TR3 OD I have on the workbench has that tag squarely under the shifter.
The gearbox top cover must be lifted to read it.  Hope that whoever put the
tag there is rotting in ....

An early Triumph reprint of a Laycock publication says the minimum free
length of those springs is 4.5 " for the outer and 4.25" for the inner.

I bought a set this past summer --- TRF wanted $40 but didn't have any, Moss
wanted $70 and had them, VB wanted $40 and had them too.  Guess where I
bought them?

The free length of the new ones were ~4.54" for the outer and ~4.48" for the
inner.

The  new ones were color coded, red for the inner short ones and yellow for
the outer long ones.  The easiest way to tell which is which on old springs
is the wire diameter; the inner shorter springs use ~.084" wire and the
outer long ones use ~.094" wire.  I had a bout last summer after mixing up
some of these springs that were deformed by overheating.  --- recorded these
data so never again .......

Nelson Riedel
Granville Ohio
'68TR250, '70TR6, '76TR6