Re: Ignition timing problem >

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition timing problem >
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 15:31:58 -0500
Alan Storey writes:
> I am trying to start a Spitfire Mark III...
> Now, all I can get is backfire through the carbs.

Most likely the timing is set too early.

> Could the crankshaft pulley be on incorrectly therefore
> moving the mark from top dead center?

Extreeeemely unlikely!  Perhaps a PO marked the pulley at a curious spot
tho'.  For example, with the timing set at 10 Deg BTDC, a PO might have
marked the pulley where the 0 Deg indicator point would be because it is
easy to see.  Then if you assumed that that mark was the real timing notch
and tried to set it to 8 Deg BTDC, you'd end up with timing that was 18 Deg
BTDC, way too early.  The tming mark should be a small notch on the front
edge of the pulley.  If it isn't legible, and mark it with white-out.

> ...I tried to set the ignition timing (staticly) using the
> directions from the Haynes manual...  Are the any tricks
> to this process that I should be aware of?

Don't know exactly what the H. manual says but setting static timing is
pretty easy.  You just have to be careful of a few things.

1. Crank the engine briefly to make sure you know which way it turns.  Then
put the tranny in 3rd gear and rock the car until the timing mark indicates
what you want.  You might want to start at TDC or a just few degrees early
instead of whatever the spec says.

2. Take the tranny out of gear and pull the high-voltage wire off the center
of the dizzy cap (to be safe!).  Turn on the ignition and rotate the dizzy
as you watch for the little spark at the points just as they open.

A thing to check for is that the centrifugal advance springs aren't
stretched.  You should be able to rotate the rotor w.r.t. the dizzy housing,
in the direction that it normally spins.  This dials in more advance as it
loads up the return springs.  When you release the rotor it should spring
back into its at-rest position.  If you've just set the static timing, this
position should be right on the verge of the points opening.  If it doesn't
return properly, the springs may be stretched or broken, or the mechanism
may be sluggish or stuck.
Who...who...who
Who left the eggs out?
Who...who...who...