Re: Ignition timing problem

To: "Alan Storey" <astorey@berry.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition timing problem
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 12:17:52 -0800
Alan,

I would think that if the car was running when it was parked, it's pretty
unlikely that the crankshaft pully is on wrong.  I'm sure you will get a lot
of more expert advice, but here's a few things to try in the meantime: If
you haven't replaced the spark plugs, now would be a good time to try that.
Squirt starter fluid in the carbs while cranking, if it kicks over and runs
for a few seconds, your problem is fuel, not ignition.  You said you were
getting gas to the carbs but are you getting it through the carbs? you
didn't say when you cleaned the carbs, but fuel left sitting a long time can
turn to varnish and cleaning the bowls may not be enough. Check the needle
valves and make sure they are clear, then the jets and all the passages.

Hope this helps,
Bob
 .