Re: TR3a - Brushing up on my reading

Subject: Re: TR3a - Brushing up on my reading
From: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 19:12:12 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David :

The passage in Bill's book is a bit misleading (to say the least).  The
brake and flasher circuits were always fused, they are both fed from one
of the fuses in the fuse block under the bonnet (along with the gas
gauge and wiper motor).

The only fuse that was added was for the entire tail lamp circuit,
including the dash lamps and front "sidelamps".  This was done by moving
all of the red wires from terminal 41 of the headlamp switch to the hot
side of the dash lamp switch (or rheostat if so equipped), and adding an
in-line fuse between terminal 41 of the headlamp switch and the dash
lamp switch.  You can see this in the schematic I sent you.

The original fuse was mounted right under the ignition switch, with a
spring clip that held it to the inside edge of the dash panel.  At least
on my car, it's clipped over the vinyl covering (where my driving gloves
frequently catch on the clip as I shift into 3rd).  A blade-type fuse
would probably not fit the clip, but I see no reason you couldn't just
tie-wrap it to one of the dash braces.  I doubt even the most determined
judge would stick his (or her) head under there !

OTOH, I see an advantage to using the same type of fuse as the fuse
block takes.  That way, you've already got one spare (in the clip in the
fuse block), and if necessary you can even rob one fuse to replace the
other (just to get home).  I believe in-line holders are still available
from Radio Shack.  They of course don't look the same, but they work
just fine.  If you can't locate one, let me know, I might have some
stashed away somewhere.

Randall