Re: TR3a - fuse block screw type

Subject: Re: TR3a - fuse block screw type
From: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 19:42:42 -0800
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Templeton wrote:

> Try this one more time, the fuse block has a 50 & 30amp fuse.

My book says 50 & 35, but those are 'Lucas' fuse ratings, US fuse
ratings are roughly half that value.  I use AGC 25 for the horns, and
AGC 20 for the switched ignition circuit.

> The inline fuse dhould be 1 to 5 amp?

5 amps (US rating) will do, 1 will not.  The load on that fuse is 4
tail/side lamp filaments at 6 watts each, plus 8 indicator lamp
filaments (including the two license plate lamp bulbs) at 2.2 watts
each. (Using the bulb ratings from the owner's manual, I don't have my
modern bulb reference handy.)  Total 42 watts, which is about 3 amps (at
14v where these filaments are usually rated), but you need a little
margin above that, and a readily available fuse, so 5 amps.

Note that even a 20 amp fuse achieves the desired effect, almost any
short will blow it in a hurry.

Randall