Re: out of balance clutch?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, <nass@yahoogroups.com>, <SPIT6CGT6@yahoogroups.com>, <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: out of balance clutch?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 07:15:59 -0500
It's not the clutch Paul, that's connected to the
 transmission and would be spinning in relationship
to the vehicle speed.  The part of the mass that
 is engine driven is the pressure plate.  And yes,
I have seen those out of balance before.

You've had a number of good suggestions of
how to check the various engine components
over the past several months since you first
complained about this problem.  Have you done
any of the things you were shown to isolate
the vibration?

>>> "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com> 12/30 3:14 PM >>>
anyone ever see, or end up, with a brand
new clutch assembly that was 'out-of-balance'?

I've got a strange vibration at 2.5-3krpm
It's definitely engine speed, not road speed
related.

I can cruise at that rpm range and feel the
vibration. Take it out of gear, still rolling at
speed and no vibration. Rev the engine
while drifting at speed and the vib. is back.

The engine idles smoothly and beautifully
as low as 600 rpm.  It has new lower end bearings,
flattop pistons, and custom cut 010 over rings.

The tranny has also recently been rebuilt.
The new clutch is the only thing I can't verify
is running true.

How about if the bushing on the end of the input shaft was toast.
Could that add up to this type of vibration?