TR5 starters (was TR6 ring gear question)

Subject: TR5 starters (was TR6 ring gear question)
From: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 10:37:21 -0800
Cc: "Triumph Team. Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
David Massey wrote:

> Actually the problem didn't exist in the TR5 at all.  The ring gear fits up
> tight against a flange that is on the engine side of the flywheel  (on the
> SC engine) and the inertial style starters pull the bendix toward the
> engine pushing the ring gear against this flange.  It was the change to the
> pre-engaged style starter on the TR6 - that pushes the bendix toward the
> transmission - that is causing the problem.

According to the Moss catalog (both US and UK), the TR5 (and early TR6)
used a pre-engaged style starter, Lucas Model M418G, P/N 25626.  This is
also the unit listed in my 1969 Lucas catalog for the TR5.  Moss only
lists the Bendix style for the TR250 (and the TR250 SPC agrees).

Comments, anyone ?

Randall