Re: Commission Plate Stamping

To: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>, "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>, <Desenberg1@cs.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Commission Plate Stamping
From: "elliottd" <elliottd@look.ca>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 17:40:10 -0500
  The problem with engraving or stamping a new Comm No. Plate (at least for a
TR3 and TR3A) is that the black lettering (fonts) printed on the new plates
are not identical to the original fonts.  So, if you're going for originality,
do you go with a nice new shiny plate (wrong fonts) and lose points in a
concours or do you re-install the original plate and lose points because it
"looks scruffy" ?

  Don Elliott 1958 TR3A - Comm. No. 8TS 27489 LO
  Montreal, Canada

  PS - I kept the original plate.  It also saved me the trouble of finding the
proper stamps or an engraver.

  BTW - Did you know that when cars from overseas arrived at a Canadian
dealer, the Comm. No. Plate was stamped with a pre-fix digit.  In my case the
number is stamped with an 8 in front of the TS 27489 LO to indicate it is a
1958.  Unscrupulous used car lots (and others selling a car privately) back
then were offering say a 1953 or 54 Beetle as a 1958 - so they were stamped to
prevent this.  This August the Comm No. plate on a TR3A from Kansas at VTR in
Colorado was pre-fixed with a 9 proving that it had been imported and
registered originally as a Canadian TR3A.

  Don