Re: Triumph Prices (Was: TR3B on E-Bay)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Triumph Prices (Was: TR3B on E-Bay)
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 22:40:07 EST
In a message dated 1/5/2002 9:59:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jrhill@chorus.net writes:

> I did . . . Yikes! Someone (allegedly) dumped $100,000 into restoring a
> Triumph Herald, touted by Kruse as "undoubtedly the finest Triumph in the
> world today" - and it brought a fast $14,500 at the Labor Day auction?
>
> Got to be a lesson there somewhere . . .

Yeah...like, don't spend that kind of money on a Herald? ;-)

Actually, that particular car has seen little more than a constant flow
through the auction circuit for the past several years; each time the
supposed selling price inches up a bit, as does the "legend" surrounding the
restoration costs. Said legend seems truly to have taken on a life of its
own. It started out several years ago something along the lines of
"$30,000CDN (or thereabouts) spent on restoration" and has gone on from
there.

Odd thing is that the car is nice, but it really isn't all that incredibly
special. There are much nicer cars of that ilk out there, such as the
ex-Steve Hedke/Tom Leavitt Sports 6 (pictured in the latest issue of Spitfire
& GT6 magazine).

--Andy

Andrew Mace, Vice President, Member Services
  and 10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Vehicle Consultant
The Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>