Re: New to list, many questions

To: Peter Beyl <beyl@erols.com>
Subject: Re: New to list, many questions
From: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:46:22 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Peter Beyl wrote:

> Is there a better tire for performance since I'm
> not going to show the car? I definitely need to replace two of them.

Almost anything is better than the Redlines, tire technology has come a
long way since they were designed.  Unfortunately the move has been
towards lower profile tires, so it can be difficult to find a high
performance tire that will fit the stock rims, and also be the same
height.  'Shorter' tires will affect the speedo/odo calibration,
increase highway engine rpm, and reduce ground clearance.  This isn't
necessarily bad, just something to be aware of.

> Is an oil cooler a worth while item to install? I live in New Jersey and plan
> on doing a lot of driving in the hot weather.

IMO, No, unless you are going racing.  But others will disagree.  The
only way to be certain is to add an oil temp gauge.

> I've got a Crane XR700 ignition system installed in car. Any idea where I can
> get servicing info on it?

Crane Cams still sells the things, I believe they have a repair/exchange
program.  Try
http://www.cranecams.com

> What parts suppliers are the best? Got catalogues from Roadster Factory and
> Victoria British.

I like TRF and Moss about equally, VB is a somewhat distant 3rd (IMO).
TRF's "car club" is a good thing if you plan to keep maintaining your
car (ie place a $50 order every month for a year).  However, they do
have more trouble keeping stuff in stock, backorders are quite common
with them.  VB's quality is sometimes not as good, and their tech
support is absolutely non-existant.

There are lots of smaller dealers around (BPNW springs immediately to
mind) that can be easier to deal with and more helpful.  In addition,
many of them will sell you Moss parts at below Moss price.

> I live in Somerset, NJ, close to New Brunswick. Anyone in my area with a TR6 I
> could look at, to see what I have missing on my car?

Sorry, I'm on the left coast.  But don't forget that there were a lot of
changes throughout TR6 production (like the Union Jack badges someone
was just asking about), so what's 'correct' on one car may not be for
yours.

OTOH, it's your car, you're the only one it has to please !

Randall