RE: Windshields and tickets to teenagers

To: Harlyred1@aol.com
Subject: RE: Windshields and tickets to teenagers
From: sl350oz@netscape.net
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 21:55:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I'm prepared to back up Harleyred1...to an extent.   To this day, every
intercept that I have made is for a purpose ie. a ticketable offence, or a
brief for court attendance.   I've never pulled people up just to issue
warnings - I just do what the community pay me to do...enforce legislation.

Sure there have been occasions where I have used my discretion and issued a
warning, due to the circumstances (the speeding vehicle with pregnant wife on
the back seat...and it DOES still occur), or other attributable factors that
concede less than complete guilt on behalf of the driver.

By the same token I have on countless occasions been subjected to some truly
amazing displays of abuse by drivers(some older, but majority teens)who are
angry, arrogant, annoyed or just plain p----d off that the cops have caught
them out, and mouth off (especially in the presence of peers).   These people
have just failed the 'attitude test', and any discretionary powers available to
me would have certainly walked out the door.

I don't consider playing games with people by 'teaching them a lesson' or
'revenge', just do the job right down to the line...as necessary.   Nor do I
consider the 'roadside lecture' to be of any great value, as it generally falls
upon deaf ears.

As I once stated to a young chap going right off in front of a carload of his
mates, "it's far better to stand back in life and look like an idiot, than open
your mouth and confirm the fact."   Nothing's changed since I was a teenager,
and it never will - you can't put experience on young shoulders.

Cheers,
Marc.

Harlyred1@aol.com wrote:
In fairness to the law enforcement community.........I think a valid reason as
to why teens get more tickets than us olders folks.........when was the last
time you got pulled over and said, "Yeah? What do YOU want?" or some such
eloquent response. And when was the last time you got pulled over for (almost
anything) that you haven't done since your testosterone level wasn't off
charts? I've never given a ticket to a kid to "teach him a lesson" If he had a
brain fart I gave him an inspection ticket (not a "fix-it" ticket in NY), but
then no increase in insurance for the kid, or worse, Mom and Dad. If he was
just out and out stupid, AND  arrogant........he got every ticket I could think
of that applied, and a smile.