RE: TR6 Engine Rebuild

Subject: RE: TR6 Engine Rebuild
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:48:08 -0800
> I don't claim to know exactly why this is better,
> nor do I know why shimming up the pedestals would necessarily be a
> BAD way to do it,

Pete, all :

The problem with shimming the pedestals is that it changes the geometry, or
more specifically the angle between the rocker arm and the valve stem.  This
increases the side load on the valve stem, thus increasing guide wear.

I agree, for .080" (roughly two turns of the adjuster), it's not really
necessary.  However, all the TR performance suppliers (BFE, TSI,
Racetorations, etc.) can supply shorter (and stronger) pushrods.  ISTR Kas'
book also talks about a way to shorten the existing pushrods.

Weight really isn't an issue here, without lots of other modifications to
increase useful engine rpm.  I'm not certain about the 6-cyl TRs, but
pushrod flex has been shown to be a bigger cause of valve 'float' in the
TRactor motor than valve train weight.  As Ken G. put it : "They looked like
spaghetti."

Randall