Re: TR6 Engine Rebuild

Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Rebuild
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 12:59:45 -0800
>Hi All,
>
>I have a buddy who has pulled his 76 TR6 engine and is doing a rebuild.
>

>He has had 80 thousandths shaved from the cylinder head and is trying to
>find a source for 80 thousandths shims to go under the rocker pedestal.
>
>Anyone have good source?

I have two comments:

First of all, it is my understanding that this is not the best way to
restore rocker geometry on a shaved cylinder head.  I believe the
Kastner Competition Preparation manual recommends shortening the
pushrods instead.  I don't claim to know exactly why this is better,
nor do I know why shimming up the pedestals would necessarily be a
BAD way to do it, but I can see right away that shortening the
pushrods also lightens the pushrods, and maybe that's the only
difference.  Certainly for racing applications that difference may be
significant, but I would expect it would be splitting hairs for a
road car.

Secondly, I seem to recall that according to the Competition
Preparation Manual, it only becomes necessary to do this beyond
10.5:1 compression ratio.  I don't know what 80 thousandths
translates to in compression increase, but if it's below 10.5:1, then
I don't think you have to worry about it.

If this car is to be driven on the street, then I HOPE your buddy
isn't increasing it to more than 10.5:1.  10:1 would be plenty and
would still tolerate most fuels, 9.5:1 would be even safer.  I chose
9.5:1 back when I did my rebuild.

Best regards,

--
Pete Chadwell