Maurice (Was: Tickets; Could we END that thread?)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Maurice (Was: Tickets; Could we END that thread?)
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:03:08 -0600
Don Elliot wrote:

> > [Maurice Gastonides]...invented and patented the speed camera

And Andy Mace replied:

> Actually, the spelling (and I always do this myself) is Gatsonides. Check
out
> the corporate web site <http://www.gatso.nl/intro.html>, where there's
even a
> picture of "Gatso" with an early TR! Unfortunately, he is no longer with
us.

It does appear that "Gatsonides" is correct. See
http://www.vintageweb.net/millemiglia/gatsonides.html (Ken Richardson up,
Maurice navigating, in a TR in the 1954 Mille Miglia)

But his name occasionally appears as "Gastonides ". See the Alpine Rally
page at:
 http://www.smithmaps.fsnet.co.uk/alpinerallytext.htm

Give it time to load for some spectacular maps and photos of the old Alpine
. . . and a reference to "Maurice Gastonides" as one of only two winners of
the Coupe D'Or (Gold Cup) for three consecutive penalty free Alpines (the
other, of course, was Stirling).

Jim Hill