Semi-Metalic Brake pads (long and rambling story)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Semi-Metalic Brake pads (long and rambling story)
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:12:24 -0800 (PST)
I just thought I'd relate a story from the past couple of weeks.

Somewhere around 18 months ago . . not long after I got my TR-6,  I had to
replace the brake rotors and pads.

I don't remember where I got the pads. . might have been a local parts store
for all I know.

One thing was obvious though . . . they made a TREMENDOUS amount of brake dust
on the front wheels.

A year and a half and somewhere around 20,000 miles later . . . I was surprised
to hear that metal on metal grinding when I hit the brakes on my way home from
work.

Since the TR-6 has to get me back and forth to work each day . .I improvised
and found a used, but not worn out set of brake pads in the stock pile.  Filed
them down (there was a big raised section where the pad had conformed to a
cavity in the rotor) and put them in on the side that was starting to scrape.

I motored up and down the hills on the side streets and doing some heavy
braking to bed in my temporary replacement pads.

The next day . .  on the way to work . . the other side started grinding.
CRAP!  So I'm engine braking and using the hand brake as much as possible for
the day and on the way home.

That evening I went searching and found a new in the box set of Austrailian
(Repco maybe) Semi-metalic brake pads in the garage.  They were old, and
doubtlessly purchased for the TR-4 . . . but the Moss catalog says they use the
same ones on the 6 . . so in they went.

They seem to work VERY well.
And after a couple weeks of driving . . . hardly any brake dust.
The old ones would have blackened my panasports by now.

I always figured I had slighly dragging front brakes and would get around to
putting in some Toyota 4 piston calipers one day.  (can't get any cores from
the local scrap yard though)

I suppose I still could . . but I'd say the brake pad composition had a lot to
do with it too.

There's my story for today.

Scott Tilton
TR-6 with rear tires breaking traction on Icy roads yesterday . . . on sandy
roads today!  Empty parking lots are lotsa fun!
Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/