Re: Movie "On the Beach" Great race scene

To: "David & Krystal Wingett" <elkhorn@megsinet.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>, "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Movie "On the Beach" Great race scene
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:30:49 -0600
You boys are talking about one of my all-time favorite movies (guess that
dates me a bit), although I haven't seen it for a _long_ time.

Fred Astaire was indeed the main character involved in the car race but he
drove a Ferrari Monza, not a Jag.

And he didn't kill himself in the race, although a lot of other drivers
did - presumably as an alternative to a lingering death from the approaching
radioactive cloud. Astaire's character won the race but, having failed to
croak himself as he'd expected, drove the Ferrari into his garage, sealed
the door and sat in the cockpit revving the engine with a smile on his face
until his suicide was successful.

And yes indeed, a Coke bottle attached to a window shade and a
radiotelegraph key played a memorable part in the movie.

Jim Hill