Re: Movie "On the Beach" Great race scene

To: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Movie "On the Beach" Great race scene
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:52:14 -0700
Irv Korey wrote:

> At 07:22 PM 1/10/02 -0500, David & Krystal Wingett wrote:
>
> >             GEE,  What have I done!!!   I slept thru this Most of this
> >film!!   Please, WHAT RACE SCENE  ????   Will it be on again any time soon?
> >Someone should have e-mailed me and told me to stay awake.  Irv C. it must
> >have been you.  You must share in this some how!  shi*
> >         DW
>
> Sorry, I'm completely out of the loop on this one. If this is the movie I
> think it is, the only thing I remember is one of the characters
> deliberately killing himself by crashing an E Type.

That character, I believe, was played by Fred Astaire, and if it was an
E-type, it had to be a pre-production model, because the movie was
released in 1959. I think it was meant to look like a C- or D-type.
Headrest fairing, right-hand drive, and large-mouth air intake, as I
recall (it's been more than a decade since I've seen the movie on tape).

Strange, but I don't remember all the details of the race. The most
persistent image in the movie, for me, is the Coke bottle attached to
the window shade and the radiotelegraph key set.

Cheers.

--
Michael D. Porter
Roswell, NM (yes, _that_ Roswell)

The gulf between content and substance continues to widen....