Re: Spitfire Drive Train Options

To: "Bob Van-Kempen" <bobvankempen@optusnet.com.au>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Drive Train Options
From: "William Davies" <w.davies@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:15:23 -0000 teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0BKIs107771
From: Bob Van-Kempen <bobvankempen@optusnet.com.au>

> I have an opportunity to pick up a 1500cc Spitfire engine for my 1963 Mk1
> and also a 3.9:1 diff.  Can anyone advise me whether the 4:11 diff and Mk1
> gearbox will hold up with a 1500 Mk4 engine?

Hi Bob,
    The gearbox should be OK, but there is a serious risk of breaking the
smaller output shafts on the diff. The 3.89 unit is (in my opinion) a more
suitable ratio for the 1500 engine in any case. If you wanted to stick to a
4.11 ratio then obtain one from a later MkIII Spitfire as that would have the
beefier shafts,
    Cheers,
        Bill.

Rarebits4classics