starter wiring problems on 76 TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: starter wiring problems on 76 TR6
From: Greg_Hutmacher@i2.com
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 21:21:42 -0600 21, 2001) at 01/12/2002 09:21:48 PM, Serialize complete at 01/12/2002 09:21:48 PM, Itemize by SMTP Server on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 5.0.7 |March 21, 2001) at 01/12/2002 09:21:48 PM, Serialize by Router on SMTPMTA2/i2Tech(Release 5.0.7 |March 21, 2001) at 01/12/2002 09:21:51 PM, Serialize complete at 01/12/2002 09:21:51 PM
I've spent a frustrating afternoon trouble shooting why my starter on my
TR6 is not working.  The battery is fully charged but when I turn the key,
not a sound.  Not even a click.  I jumped the two large contacts on the
starter and the starter spins.   So I'm assuming that the starter itself
is probably good.  Upon closer inspection, the wiring harness containing
three wires to the starter solenoid appears to be in bad shape.  The wires
are brittle, insulation is broken, even appears somewhat melted, etc.  The
two wires going to the two blade terminals look to be in bad shape as is
one of the brown wires going to one of the larger terminals on the
starter.  The only one that looks good is the red wire which I'm guessing
comes from the hot side of the battery.   The problem is that, in
searching the parts catalogs for replacements,  I have only found the red
wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter.  The other three
wires are embedded into the wiring harness so I am not sure how best to
replace them.  I don't know if I'm up to replacing the entire wiring
harness for the car.  Any suggestions from anyone that has faced this mess
before?  Any other suggestions on what to check?  I haven't been able to
make much sense of the wiring diagrams concerning the starter wiring.

Please reply to me directly since I am on digest.

Thanks.