RE: TR3 Frame colors and interior hint

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Frame colors and interior hint
From: "Augustine, Richard S. (LNG-SHEP)" <Richard.Augustine@lexisnexis.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:49:35 -0700
When I disassembled my '59 everything showed that the frame was the same as
the body, white, which is what I remember the TRA judging manual saying it
should be.  I believe the info about the "works" frames, one way to find
cracks in the frame is to powdercoat it white, don't ask me how I know!

Hint for those doing the vynil cockpit cappings, a fairly hot steam iron on
the cloth side of the old vynil pieces will flatten them out nicely to use
as close approximations for patterns for your new ones.  (just did this last
night)

Scott Augustine
'59 TR3A garage ornament

>From all I've read over the years, "Works" race or rallye cars usually had
chassis painted WHITE or LIGHT GREY -- to help spot cracks more easily. This
appears to have been done on some of the prototypes as well. One example of
this is "412 VC" -- one of the original Spitfire 4 prototypes. This car was
used for many of the early publicity photos and sales brochures, and a close
look at some of those photos clearly shows a greyish-white chassis under the
Signal Red car.

- --Andy Mace