Gen'l EFI Help (GM V6) - Mostly non-LBC and long

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Gen'l EFI Help (GM V6) - Mostly non-LBC and long
From: Fred Marks <marks_fred@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 10:08:03 -0800 (PST)
List-

This is going to go way off topic for this list really
quickly, so please reply via email if you think you
can help!

With my rolling (CGT6) chassis mostly complete, it's
time to begin work on the power plant.  In my case, a
GM 3.4 Litre 60 degree V6 culled from a Firebird.  I
had originally planned on using the 3.1L version of
this motor but I ran into this later unit for cheap.
I guess now I'll just have to get by with an extra 16
cubic inches...

In order to keep the total volume occupied by the
assembled engine as compact as possible, I want to
keep the factory type fuel-injection arrangement.  The
throttle body is front-mounted, not top mounted, to
the intake plenum.  Keeps things very very low,
compared to top mount TB or carb.

Anyway, here's the rub:  it would be easy for me to
just wire in the stock ECU and run the GM EFI in the
TR as if it were in the F-bird, but this engine will
NOT be stock!  This one is about to undergo the
standard, classic hot-rod mods including new
higher-compression forged pistons in .020 over bores,
a high-lift cam, a high RPM valvetrain and exhaust
headers, none which the stock EFI is meant to deal
with.

With carbs? Piece o'cake--but I honestly don't know
where to begin with EFI.  What I DO know is what I
need to get out of the system, on paper at least.
Allowing for a bit of headroom I need to draw the
following maximums:

500-550 CFM of air,
and between 21-25 GPH fuel.

Neither can be accomplished with the stock Throttle
body or injectors.  I doubt the stock ECU will work
either.

SO... You see, I have issues here, and not even a good
reference book to learn the basics from.  Can I modify
and swap in other GM parts, like maybe LT1 injectors
to raise the rate of fuel delivery?  Maybe a V8
throttle body grafted to the V6 intake?

Speed density?  Mass-airflow?  Whew!?

I'm lost in the darkness and need guidance here.
Anyone qualified to give me a basic course in building
a customized EFI on a budget from junkyard parts
please stand up  ;-)

All input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Fred Marks