Re: Redescribing the problem (previously about fuel pressure)

To: "- [LDM] Garth Newton" <garth@littledevil.com.au>, "Triumphs at AUTOX.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Pete & Aprille Chadwell" <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Subject: Re: Redescribing the problem (previously about fuel pressure)
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:58:16 +1100
hmmm

The problem has been very complex and has had varying symptoms - all of which
happened at a similar time.  We have narrowed down potential issues and
eliminated things along the way.

The problem itself has shifted slightly in symptoms.  I guess we could say
that there have been two things producing similar issues - one was definitely
related to slip and the other is about power loss (not a drop or obvious
lack-but an intermittent problem whereby under full throttle the rev counter
would get to a certain point and then not want to go any further - sometimes
nudging a few hundred rpm or so in a rhythmic slow pulse/waving) other times
we can wrap it around to about 5700RPM quite happily and it pulls with a
vengeance.  The problem has changed slightly over the past few months since it
occurred.

So to give you the full picture I'll start over.

--

I installed a new vacuum advance unit (and for the next 50kms or so of driving
experienced no problems).  After this point I put the car in to have the

Whilst having the work done on the gearbox it was found that the overdrive
needed to have a new sliding clutch member fitted.  Seeing as we had gone this
far we also lightened the flywheel - fully rebuilt the overdrive and gearbox -
rebuilt the diff and fit the new clutch.

Everything seemed sweet for about 100km then I noticed a slippage at highway
cruising speed in overdrive.

About another 100km later the slippage at high speed could not be made to
happen - BUT - then we noticed when working through the gears vigorously that
we were able to get a slip happening at 4000RPM and above in 1st and 2nd gear
whilst under full throttle.  The exact RPM where the problem occurred has
always varied but has always been over 3000RPM .  I figured it might have been
only occurring in lower gears so I found a back road and aimed to hit the
highest revs I could in 3rd overdrive.  God knows what speed I actually got it
up to (haven't got a ticket yet) but somewhere past 4500RPM or so I got a
problem where it didn't seem to slip but it would not go past a certain rev
point (no rev limiter in my car either and we had plenty of grunt to go).

So we inspected and adjusted the clutch (assuming slip of the new clutch) and
the problem didn't go away.

Then we stripped the overdrive and checked for any contamination that may have
gotten in during the rebuild.  Everything was fine (we checked pressure and
operation of the solenoid) so it was put back together and we found issues
again.

We checked the clutch again and no slipping was occurring there. Whilst at it
we fit a larger bore slave cylinder to the box to make things a bit better
under foot.

We investigated the problem a little further with O/D experts and found that
the sliding clutch member in the O/D unit takes up to a 1000km to bed in
seeing as the angles of the surfaces are potentially different and need to
'bed in'.

So we let the problem go for about another 800km (thus clocking up 1000KM) and
found that the problem had not gone away.

It was at this point that we realised something different was happening to
what we originally had which was definitely slip.

The engine was no longer slipping like it was in water (i.e. rev counter no
longer bouncing around towards the red with no increase in speed like it first
did).  We found that the problem had now shown itself as a lack of will to rev
any further than a certain point although sometimes it would rev a little
further and come back down again just as if I had my foot mostly down on the
accelerator holding it at a certain rev and then nudging it a little bit.  It
feels like someone has stuck something under the accelerator pedal
temporarily. - shift up a gear and stomp on the accelerator and away she goes
again like nothing was wrong.

So the problem is no longer a slip problem.

The problem is worse when the engine is warm and has never happened when the
engine is cold/cool.  Obviously I am reluctant to start the car from cold and
immediately boot the hell out of it at full revs like a mad man to see if the
problem occurs.  As soon as the engine temp gauge goes close to the quarter
mark it seems to start to show itself.

Anyway, the local Triumph expert has checked the fuel pump for me and claims
that it deliver 2psi which according to him is not enough and he reckons it is
definitely my problem.  I disagree, as that seems to be a sensible amount of
fuel pressure.

I have not yet changed the fuel pump but will do so in the next few days.  I
tend to think that it is more likely to be related to distributor advance
problems (note above that I had fiddled with parts of the dizzy before all the
other work).   We have thought that perhaps float bowl issues were present and
have not yet checked that.

My plan of action is:

Remove / plug vacuum advance.
Check timing and amount of advance that occurs through rev range.
Lubricate distributor components.
Set points gap.
Change Coil and Condenser.
Pull carb suction chamber covers off and lubricate carb pistons.

Thanks to everyone for their help.