Re: Stud Extractors

Subject: Re: Stud Extractors
From: Randall <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 18:11:45 -0800
I believe I have a stud extractor like you are talking about (mine is a
KD tools), IMO it works quite well as long as you have enough stud for
it to grip.  But, it does require at least 1" of stud free to grip,
which you might not have after you grind the head off.  As someone
noted, it will chew up the body of the stud to an extent (basically
knurls it to match the knurl on the extractor cam), and will destroy any
threads you try to use it over.  But, it makes taking out TR3 head studs
easy once the head is off.

The kind that look like spark plug sockets, with hardened 'finger'
rollers that work a little like the sprag clutch in an overdrive, look
like a better bet to me.  You could even use one of them without
grinding the head off, if you can find the right size.

Randall