TR3A windscreen glazing material replacement (success)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A windscreen glazing material replacement (success)
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:59:51 EST
First of all, thanks to all who have provided advice. With the cumulative
knowledge I have "figgered" it out. Thanks again.

Here's what I did.

The MOSS material does fit (I would assume that the TRF material would
likewise fit). On the surface the glazing material appears to be too thick,
however, if you stretch the material around the glass and then press into the
frame it will go on rather easily. The stretching is empirical (experimental)
and moreover care must be taken while stretching so as not to poke a hole in
the glazing material on the sharp edge of the frame corners. Also, before
cutting the ends allow for some relaxing of the material (see further on**).
I needed 3 pair of hands (my wife and daughter assisted).

A rubber mallet used discretely also aids in persuading the combination
glazing material and glass to seat into the frame. As lubricant I used some
KY jelly.

I assembled the top half first, then the bottom. Once the material and glass
is fitted into the two pieces of the frame, I fit the two pieces, screwed the
frame together with the provided brackets and trimed the excess.

**On the bottom corners I will add a small amount of sealant where the two
pieces of glazing material meet and where I had cut the glazing material just
a bit too tightly (not providing enough allowance for the shrinkage), about a
1/4".** Allowing for the shrinkage seems to be more art than science (the
empirical concept) and the sharp corners of the frame in this area do not
tend to aid in the equation. In any case the fact that two pieces of glazing
material are used, some "filler" to mate theses two seems appropriate.

Once all assembled the glass Fitznicentight.

Best Regards,
Ed ('58 TR3A)