Re: Fog/driving lamps

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>, David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fog/driving lamps
From: Steven Newell <newellsteven@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:54:12 -0800 (PST)
--- Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net> wrote:
> From: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
> >I have a lucas fog and a driving lamp. Can these be
> mounted on the top of the front overiders?

Skipping through the photos I've saved from rally web
sites, I've seen plenty of fog/driving lights mounted
above overriders or above the front bumper on TR3's
and Jag XK's. See photos of the Rally of the
Tests/Trials pages somewhere buried in this site:

http://www.carnet.co.uk/rallyoffice/

---Phil wrote---
> If you want fog lights to actually function as fog
> lights, you want to mount them as low as possible.
> Under the bumper on Triumph would be right.
>
> I realize that having one of each makes this a bit
> awkward.

I don't argue with Phil that fog lights should be
mounted low. But a fog light at grill height for a TR3
or TR4 is already lower than a fog light under the
bumper of most SUVs. I'd be afraid that under the
bumper, they won't function as fog lights for long
before a curb or rock stops their functioning
altogether.

For comparison, I've seen photos of the works TR4's
without bumpers and mounted in their place are pairs
of lights on either side. Don't know if they were
intended for fog. In other period photos they run a
light bar that positions the auxiliary lights centered
along the bottom of the grill. Sorry, I don't collect
TR3 photos for comparison. ;-)

Steven
Denver
'62 TR4