Lockheed brake cylinder overhaul question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lockheed brake cylinder overhaul question
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:51:43 +0000 FILETIME=[139711E0:01C1A532]
I have some "brand new" TR2 Lockheed wheel cylinders that have been sitting
for 20-25 years.  They came with the car (which has also been sitting for 25
years.....)  I'm going to install new rubber parts, but have a question.
What is the "grease" on the inside cylinder walls?  It has done a great job
of protecting the steel from rusting all these years, and I can see where
having it would be useful to keep the wall free of pits and rust so that
when the brakes wear the rubber has smooth fresh walls to work against.  Is
this "grease" something special, or is it just brake fluid that has aged and
has been collecting dust?  Boxes have been sealed and wrapped in something
like oil paper all these years.

Frank ('54 Doretti, 20th of 276 manufactured.  TR2 drive train and brakes)