Re: more ebay puzzles

To: "Don Sforza" <djsforza@snet.net>, "Triumph" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more ebay puzzles
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 00:26:04 -0500
> It's a 74... only year with the low bumper and rubber thingies
>
> Don Sforza           djsforza@snet.net                 KA1WV

Not quick, all.  I'm sticking with the year of 1976.  The rear bumper is the
correct, later, 1975-1976 type... and the commission number checks out to be
a later car as well.

Perhaps the owner preferred the look of the original indicator lamps and the
lower front bumper?  Many MGB owners convert their rubber bumpered cars to
chrome style, and conversion kits exist commercially to do this, I would
guess that either as a result of an accident or personal preference this
owner (or a previous owner) fitted the earlier front bumper and the
trapezoidal indicator lamps (the holes still existed in the later valences,
they just needed to be modified a bit).

As for the rear bumper, there are two that the overriders were fitted to.
The 75-75 rear bumpers have the Triumph script beneath the bumper as this
car does, and the bumper sits one inch higher than it previously did (this
can be verified on this car, by looking at the gap between the rear tail
lamps and the bumper).

Besides I've never seen a 1974 car that was originally Java Green, again
more credibility towards the later 1976 date.  Although it is clear the car
has had a repaint, as the windshield surround matches the body colour.  I'm
leaning towards front end accident at somepoint in this cars lifetime (inner
fender wings also painted matte black, perhaps an attempt to cover bodywork
faults? sure isn't undercoat I know that).

Kai