FR Engine Plates

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FR Engine Plates
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 22:53:03 -0000 g0QMuFb15832
Hi,
    I've had several off-list enquiries about the remanufactured Factory
Rebuilt engine ID plates, so I felt it was worth explaining their background to
the list as a whole.
    Engines supplied by the factory as exchange items carried a plate rivetted
to the block for identification. The original number was overstamped (usually
with a series of "X"s, though I have seen some with "Y"s!) and the plate
rivetted in the vertical plane to the boss which had previously carried the
engine number. The engine numbers are usually in the same series as the
origianls, though the suffix "FR" is normally used in place of "HE" or "LE".
The original example I have in front of me is from a Herald 948 Saloon and
carries the number "G 7383 FR". The cylinder bores are shown as "STD G",
indicating a standard size piston of G-grade. My understanding is that each
letter increment represents a 1 thou increase in bore dimension, so standard
bore would have grades A to J which would then increment to +010 grade A - hope
that's clear as I can't think of a better way to explain it! The main journals
in this case are shown as -020 while the big end journals are STD.
    As some people have experienced difficulties accessing my site, I can tell
you that the price for these plates is 10 UKP each (blank plates) with carriage
paid in the UK. Overseas orders will need to add 1 UKP to cover airmail postage
for one plate, though costs will be reduced for larger orders.
    Cheers,
        Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics