RE: TR3 engine number

To: <Artmol3798@aol.com>
Subject: RE: TR3 engine number
From: "John Macartney" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 09:58:18 -0000
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Art in Atlanta wrote:
When removing the engine to paint my tr3b  I discovered that the
engine
serial number is missing.  The flat area near the coil where it would
normaly
be engraved is smooth with no trace of a number ever having been
there.  I am
the second owner of this car (have all records ) but there was no
mention of
an engine swap, rebuild, etc. by the PO.  It does appear to be the
correct
tr4 motor used in these late (1963) tr3's.  Any guesses of what this
means ??
Thanks,

It's not an unknown phenomenon. I've encountered several examples
myself and nearly acquired at 2500S Estate car a year or so back that
was similarly 'afflicted.' That particular car however, had a very
different and interesting background as its commission number was 7000
odd past the last number built!
Replacement blocks sold through the Parts Division were not
numbered but they were supplied with a brass style plate. It was
assumed the ST dealer would rebuild engines and part
of that function would have been to have transferred the engine number
of the displaced unit to the new block or the supplied plate. The
other obligation was to grind off the
number of the displaced unit to avoid duplication. However, dealers
being what they are, the
result was a rebuilt engine with no number and a displaced unit
floating around without a chassis number to relate to it. Mostly,
these old cores were returned to the factory in UK/Europe and became
part of the
unit reconditioning programme. Hope this helps.

JM