RE: Allison/Crane ignition electrics

Subject: RE: Allison/Crane ignition electrics
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 17:55:41 -0800
Pete :

Not to belabor the obvious, but you should get 3 sparks per crank revolution
at the coil wire.  If you can still get spark from the coil wire, but not
from the plug wire(s), I would suspect the rotor has failed.  Saw this on a
TR4 on the way back from VTR 2001, ultimate cause was a bad plug cap, but
the rotor was shorted between the copper on top and the dizzy shaft.

Didn't try a timing light, but I've had them not fire on a badly fouled
plug, the same thing might happen for a shorted rotor.

Also check that the pickup hasn't been dislocated relative to the slotted
wheel.  This was one of my Crane problems.

Randall