RE: Allison/Crane ignition electrics teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0R2Bab213

Subject: RE: Allison/Crane ignition electrics teamfat2.dsl.aros.net id g0R2Bab21363
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 18:11:28 -0800
Randall wrote:

>Not to belabor the obvious, but you should get 3 sparks per crank revolution
>at the coil wire.

Actually, I didn't count the sparks.  I was just looking for
repetitive sparking.

>If you can still get spark from the coil wire, but not
>from the plug wire(s), I would suspect the rotor has failed.

Interesting.  I am operating on the assumption (again, I know that's
risky) since the car had been running fine up until this failure,
that the basic cap/rotor/wires etc. are in the same operable
condition they were before.  It'd be one heckuva coincidence if the
rotor failed, the ignition switch failed, AND a short circuit
appeared as if from nowhere in the purple circuit.  Having said that,
I am amazed and curious as to why this purple circuit short has
coincided with the ignition switch failure.  Yeesh.  Maybe you're
right
 I'd better check it out!

>Didn't try a timing light, but I've had them not fire on a badly fouled
>plug, the same thing might happen for a shorted rotor.

I like using a timing light as a way to verify spark/no spark.  It's
faster than screwing around with a spare plug and trying to get the
plug situated close to a ground, etc. and then looking for a tiny
spark while cranking the engine.  However I do have questions as to
whether this is necessarily a valid test.

>Also check that the pickup hasn't been dislocated relative to the slotted
>wheel.  This was one of my Crane problems.

I have double-checked and adjusted the pick-up twice, just for good
measure.  I'm certain that it's in the right spot now.

Thanks much for the input.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6