More TR6 Ignition Problems

Subject: More TR6 Ignition Problems
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:44:47 -0800
I'm still trying to get my TR6 started again.  I was concerned about
my electronic ignition (Allison XR700) so I finally removed it from
the picture and  reinstalled the OEM points and condenser.  I've got
12 volts on the white wire (which originates at the ignition switch)
that's connected to the + side of the coil.  (key on)  I've set the
gap to .015" on the breaker points.  Even if the dwell isn't quite
right, it oughtta at least START.  Also, at Randall Young's request,
I tested the rotor to see if it was shorting to ground, and it is
not.  Now if I pull the coil wire at the distributor end and situate
it near a ground and crank the engine, I see sparks.  Randall had
pointed out that I should see 3 sparks per revolution.  Well, that's
probably about right, but it's kind of hard to count.  But when I
connect that coil wire back to the dizzy and crank the motor I get no
spark.  I know there's no spark because I've hooked up my timing
light, pull the trigger and then crank the starter and I get no
flashes.  To me, this means that something is not providing the
ground contact somewhere to allow that current to flow from the coil.
When I pulled the coil wire, I put it right next to a ground and
proved that the coil is functioning.  At least I think that's what
I've proven.

Anyone have any ideas?  Meanwhile I'll stick my nose back into Dan
Masters' book and see if anything presents itself.

Thanks.

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6