TR7 engine number/tires part 2

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 engine number/tires part 2
From: Eganb@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:20:52 EST
LBC fans,

You would think if I could follow my Bentley manual through dozens of pages
while rebuilding my TR7's engine, then it wouldn't be such a big deal to FIND
THE ENGINE NUMBER!!!!  I vaguely seem to remember finding the number when the
engine was out of the car, but who knows why I didn't WRITE THE NUMBER DOWN
at the time...

Supposedly the durn thing is on the block, below the carbs and the intake
manifold.  So far, I've found a "21B9," sort of behind the rear carb, which I
think is an engine model number.  Then there's an "SSUE17" up near the front
of the block, below a two letter code, "B" and another letter I can't make
out.  These are opposite the alternator.  Wonder what they are?  And about in
the middle of the block, sort of between the carbs, is something weird like
"V0100" with little "v's" above the zeros.  Maybe that's production-time
number?

As you know, it's hard to tell what the numbers are when there's dirt and
rust on them.  I also vaguely recall reading an email once where someone
discovered the engine number was in an entirely different place.

Anyway, if someone can give me a specific location, relative to appropriate
engine part(s), I would really be grateful.  The car is registered as a 1980
convertible, but according to the VIN, which is TCT 111323 UCF, it's really a
1979.  And the engine is not the original one, and I have no idea what year
it is -- hence the search for the engine number.

And by the way, thanks for all the responses about tires for the TR7.  I'm
now eyeing the Yokohama Avids, but I might get 195s instead of 205s, just to
make sure they don't rub.

Some of you wondered what tires I have on the car already.  Please don't
laugh --  ancient Firestone 165s on the rear, and General 175s on the front.
Yeah, I know, I should at least get the Firestones on the front since they're
smaller, but they're not exactly "round," so it works better to have them on
the back.

BUT, my saving grace is that I have original Minilites -- probably worth more
than the car...

Bruce
1980 Inca Yellow TR7 5-speed convertible
Chapel Hill, NC

"Send lawyers, guns and money."  - Warren Zevon