Follow-up, TR6 Ignition

Subject: Follow-up, TR6 Ignition
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 07:38:17 -0800
By the way, a few of you raised the possibility that the breaker
points weren't operating due to the position of the plastic insulator
sleeve relative to the wire connectors.  Of course, this is always a
good suggestion.  Fortunately, I am already aware of that potential
problem.  In fact, my experience has been that right out of the box,
new breaker points will not work.  In the past I have had to 'modify'
the connection there where that plastic sleeve is so that the
electrical current can get where it's supposed to go.  I can't
understand why this is the case.  Seems to me that they oughtta work
right out of the box.  Since I've had this electronic ignition, of
course I have not needed to purchase points as a general rule.  Some
years back I helped a friend with a TR6 do a tune-up which naturally
included new points and condenser.  That's when I first encountered
the problem.  We had no spark and eventually discovered this thing
with the sleeve and so I switched some parts around on that post and
then it worked fine.  Then 2 years ago I was suspecting the Allison
unit for something else so I had to order a set of points.  Had the
same problem with those.  Luckily, I knew what to look for and
corrected it prior to installing the points.  They didn't stay in
long, as I ended up hooking up the Allison module again.  But I've
kept them as spares just for an occasion like this.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that I have checked this out.
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6