Re: "Before I start the engine" question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Before I start the engine" question
From: "Frank & Sandy Crowe" <thecrowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 05:23:01 +0000 FILETIME=[0576C0F0:01C1A885]
A couple of months ago I built an interesting thing to start old (or new)
engines - I made a tank with a tire valve stem on one end and a pipe fitting
on the other, poured in about a pint of engine oil, screwed in a valve,
pressure guage and proper fittings, pressurized it with air, then attached
it to where my oil pressure gauge comes off the engine ('54 Doretti - with
very early TR3 engine, which had been sitting for 25 years.)  This way I
could pressurize the engine to get oil to everything without turning it
over.  Then when I did hit the starter (with no plugs) I could read the fact
that the oil pump was working.  After putting some gas in the carbs (fuel
pump doesn't work, so just filled carbs with squeeze bottle)got the oil
pressure up again then hit the starter.

Be careful with the fuel tank on the floor - that is a long way up to suck
fuel.  Might sitting the tank higher than the engine, and check that it is
priming when turning the engine over.

Becareful of that starting torque - hope you have a strong engine stand.

Frank ('59 TR3A and '54 Doretti[lbc with TR drivetrain.])